“Cannot get the list schema column property from the SharePoint list”

Posted: April 6, 2010 in Customization, Data View Webpart, Errors

When you try to export the contents of a list to an excel, things would seem to start working, but then Excel would pop up an error: “Cannot get the list schema column property from the SharePoint list”.

Searching over the internet I got to know its due to the presence of DateTime field in SharePoint which when exported to excel raises a mismatch in data type.  To solve this issue I found 2 ways

  1. Remove the DateTime field from the view you want to export to excel. if you really t want those date columns, then you have to try step 2.
  2. Convert the date field to a single line of text.  Then, convert it back to a date. It was nice to see that the conversion worked, actually.  It was quite nervous that converting things this way would fail, but it did not.

Another way I found is creating a new page, placing a Data View webpart (A fine article on creating Data View Web Part) in at with the data source as your list. This will display all the items in your list. Now open this page in the browser, right click & select Export to excel.

  1. RND says:

    Another solution is:
    Go to the date and time column under settings change it to default and add todays date click ok. Next go back into the date and time column and uncheck the default date value click ok and your export to excel should run smoothly.


  2. Suganya Nataraj says:

    Hi, I dont have any Date Time field in my list, but still i do get the same error when i try to export the data.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s