Quotas and locks are two ways of controlling access to site collections. Using locks, you can manually prevent user access. Using quotas, you can prevent users from adding content to a site collection or you can send e-mail warnings to the site collection administrator when specified disk space thresholds (in megabytes [MB]) are exceeded.
- On the top navigation bar, click Application Management.
- On the Application Management page, in the SharePoint Site Management section, click Site collection quotas and locks. The Site Collection Quotas and Locks page opens.
- If you want to change the selected site collection, in the Site Collection section, on the Site Collection menu, click Change Site Collection. Use the Select Site Collection page to select a site collection.
- On the Site Collection Quotas and Locks page, in the Site Lock Information section, select one of the following:
- Not locked. Select this option to make the site collection unlocked.
- Adding content prevented. Select this option to prevent users from adding new content to the site collection. Updates and deletions are still allowed. You are required to type a reason for the lock in the Additional lock information box.
- Read-only (blocks additions, updates, and deletions). Select this option to prevent users from adding, updating, or deleting content. You are required to type a reason for the lock in the Additional lock information box.
- No access. Select this option to prevent access to content entirely. Users who attempt to access the site will receive an access-denied message. You are required to type a reason for the lock in the Additional lock information box.
- In the Site Quota Information section, in the Current quota template list, click a quota for the site collection.
- If you want to override the storage limit that is specified in the selected quota template, select the Limit site storage to a maximum of check box, and type a value in MB in the corresponding box.
- If you want to override the e-mail warning threshold that is specified in the quota template, select the Send warning e-mail when site storage reaches check box, and type a value in MB in the corresponding box.
Some times the Lock Status will be set to “Read-only (blocks additions, updates, and deletions)” during the backup process which will result in preventing users to add caontent to the site. In such cases even the site collection administrator also can’t add/edit content in the site.