If you want to create a new site same as an existing site ( Template only or the site as a whole along with the contents of the site) you can make use of the site templates. To do so, go to
- Site Actions -> Site Settings
- Under Look and Feel select Save site as template
- Save the site template by entering the details.
- Now you can find this template file in Site templates list under Galleries menu in site settings.
To create a site using this template
- Select Sites and Work spaces under Site Administration
- Click create. This will open a form to create a new site.
- In the template section select custom tab.
- This will display your custom template which is saved in the site template gallery.
- Save the appropriate template and create your site.
The above procedure will work if you want to create a sub site under a main site. But if you want to create a parent site in central admin which will use a site template, we have to install the site template. In this case follow these steps.
- After saving site as template, go to site template gallery and store the template in a local file system.
- Use the following stsadm command to install the template. stsadm.exe -o addtemplate -filename filename -title “friendly name” -description “description”.
- Now follow the normal steps of creating a site where in template selection select the custom tab and the template that you installed.